Tips for Preventing Theft
Thefts from auto will increase in parks and public parking areas during warm weather months. Working together - the community and the police - we can help prevent these crimes. Here are some tips:
- Never leave valuables, such as wallets purses, computers, cell phones or jewelry, in plain view.
- Lock your doors and roll the windows up tight.
- Valuables in the trunk are at risk. If you must put valuables in the trunk, place them there before arriving at your parking destination.
- Watch for suspicious acting people loitering or lurking in the area of parked vehicles. Call 911 and describe the person's:
- Gender, race, height, weight, clothing and age.
- License number (if available) or mode of transportation.
- Exact location.
- Park in a well-lit area if you expect to return to your car after dark.
- Keep a record of all your credit card numbers. Write down the serial numbers, makes and models of your personal property.
What to Do If It Happens to You
Call 9-1-1 immediately if property is stolen from your auto. If possible, stay where your auto was parked. Prepare a list of what was taken. The police will further advise you.
Immediately cancel all credit card and bank accounts if a credit card or checks are stolen. Do not just place stop payment orders on checks that were stolen.
Please share the above tips with family, friends, coworkers and neighbors. For more information, call the Woodbury Police Department at 651-714-3600.