Keeping Kids Safe Online
Nearly all American children have access to the Internet. Internet technology affords children access to vast amounts of valuable information and endless sources of entertainment. However, it also exposes children to certain dangers. It is important for parents to strike a balance between the benefits and risks that the Internet poses to children. Parents can achieve such a balance by implementing strategies and protective steps like those discussed below.
- Protecting Kids Online - Federal Trade Commission
- Children Internet Safety - Department of Justice
- NetSmartz - National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- Apps You Want to Know - A Parents Guide to Social Media (pdf)
The Internet makes many everyday tasks faster and more convenient, like shopping and banking, but it's important to be safe and responsible online. Scammers use the Internet to try to trick you into sending them money or your personal information but there are ways to protect yourself online. Follow the links below for more information.
Reporting Internet Crimes
- Internet Crime Complaint Center - a reporting mechanism to submit complaints about Internet crime to the FBI.
- CyberTipline - a tool to report child sexual exploitation with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.