Haulers may provide different services, features, or price compared to their competitors, so residents are encouraged to do some research so they choose the right hauler for them. When choosing a hauler, you should consider the following items.
What services will be provided?
- How often will your recycling be picked up? City ordinance states that garbage must be collected weekly. Recycling may be collected weekly or biweekly.
- What items can be recycled? Some haulers vary on what they will collect. Ask for a current list of recyclables that can be placed in your bin.
- If the hauler offers a service for yard waste, what are the expectations for material preparation?
- Is the trash taken to a landfill or to the Resource Recovery Technologies facility in Newport, where it is burned for energy?
- If you cancel your service, is there a fee to have your bins picked up?
Does the hauler require a contract?
- What is the expiration date for the contract?
- What are the termination conditions of the contract? Is there a fee to break the contract early?
- Can the contract be cancelled if the hauler is not providing reliable service
What are the fees? And what discounts may apply for switching?
- Some haulers may offer a discount on your bill for switching to their company. Be sure to clarify how long the discount will apply. If it is a temporary discount, ask what the total bill will be after the discount expires (including taxes and fees).
- If you are offered a period of service without a charge, ask whether the free month(s) of service will be applied immediately, or at the end of your agreement.
- Understanding exactly what is expected from both parties at the beginning of the agreement should result in a positive business relationship for both sides.