A modern roundabout is an unsignalized circular intersection used to maximize safety, minimize traffic delay, and provide aesthetic benefits.
How to Navigate a Roundabout
When entering a roundabout, motorists should remember to follow these simple steps:
- Slow down as you approach the intersection. Drive defensively!
- Select proper lane (if navigating a multi-lane roundabout) based on signing and striping.
- Look and stop for pedestrians.
- Yield to ALL vehicles already in the roundabout.
- Do not pass vehicles or change lanes within the roundabout.
- If you encounter an emergency vehicle, continue to your planned exit.
- When exiting the roundabout, stop for pedestrians if any are present.
For more information, visit Washington County's Roundabout U.